My suggestions

Please report bugs, suggestions and ask questions about Mars Notebook here.
MikeB55

Unread post Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:45 am

Hello,

I am quite impressed with the program thus far. It is quite feature rich especially for the price.

I too have a few suggestions...

1) First, before I could use it I too would require the ability to create internal hyperlinks. These would just be links to other pages inside of the file. This is a must for me.

2) I agree with another user that the ability to copy or move sections from one area to another would be nice.

3) Lastly, it would really be nice if you a) created the ability to export the entire file to a stand alone (.exe) eBook. Short of this, perhaps creating a freeware viewer that can be distributed free of charge with the file/database.

Okay, not quite done. Here are a few other ideas...

4) I know you have removed the need to have a Faile/Save function, but I occasionally get nervous while making changes and would appreciate a File/SaveAs function.

5) As a matter of convenience, allow passing a .mnb file on the command line. This would allow flexibility and some users who want multi-user support could use this to open their personalized database file (ie. notebook.exe %USERPROFILE%\Mars Notebook\MyData.mnb).

6) The ideas for sorting sections are fine, but I can live with doing it manually.

7) Add support for templates. This would be the same as "Insert File" with a .rvf file but would just give a favorite list that could be stored in a special directory (Templates off of the main program directory). This would allow creating forms so people could save forms/tables for stuff like contacts, passwords, bookmarks, etc. that can be quickly pasted into the file and then filled out with the user's data.

Thanks,

Michael W. Bayley
MikeB55

Unread post Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:03 am

One other thing that would be REALLY nice. It would be nice if you supplied a help/chm file.

MikeB
Marsianin
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:31 am

1. Internal hyperlinks are already here since 1.5. Just check for node tag in it's properties and use: local://TAG (local://38). In 1.6 it will be more obviously in insert link dialog (already implemented)

2. Drag'n'drop you mean? Yes, I know. It's a #1 feature :)

3. I'm gonna think about it, but for now version 1.6 will have ability to export into .chm.

4. You can always use File->Database->Make Backup and it will create another file with your database (and each time you press [make backup] it will create new backup file with number)

5. Did you ever tried to run Notebook.exe /?

6. Sometime...

7. Good idea!
Is there any life on Mars ?
MikeB55

Unread post Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:08 am

Thanks for the quick reply. In response to your responses...

1. Internal hyperlinks are already here since 1.5. Just check for node tag in it's properties and use: local://TAG (local://38). In 1.6 it will be more obviously in insert link dialog (already implemented)

Yes, I downloaded after my post and just found that. An improvement in the interface will be nice so you can pick from a section/note list perhaps with text as well as the note ID/tag

2. Drag'n'drop you mean? Yes, I know. It's a #1 feature

Drag and drop would be excellent. Worse case a dialog for move to/copy to with a list of locations

3. I'm gonna think about it, but for now version 1.6 will have ability to export into .chm.

I can live with that. But I do hope you will keep the idea of a viewer (ie. can't modify data) or an exe file for the future.

4. You can always use File->Database->Make Backup and it will create another file with your database (and each time you press [make backup] it will create new backup file with number)

Ok, a bit awkward but I can make it work.

5. Did you ever tried to run Notebook.exe /?

No I have not tried that, but without a help file or a readme.txt file I have been exploring a bit in the dark. If you would be available via email for questions I might consider writing a .chm help file for you. Let me know.

6. Sometime...

No hurry on my part

7. Good idea!

Glad you like the idea. It should be really simple to implement.

Not that it is important, but here are a few other ideas...

8. Allow users to customize keyboard shortcuts.

9. Add support for a few external tools (either custom toolbar buttons or a "Tools" menu entry.

10. You currently support (from what I can tell) placing toolbars at the top, bottom, left, and right sides of the window. It would be nice if you added one more area. This would be just below the current toolbars but to the right of the tree window. This would be just above the ruler.

Thanks,

MikeB
MikeB55

Unread post Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:17 am

Ok, I tried the following...

notebook.exe myfile.mnb
notebook.exe "myfile.mnb"
notebook.exe /startup "myfile.mnb"

All with the same results. The program continued to load the last file I used.

MikeB
Marsianin
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:00 pm

May be your 'myfile.mnb' was the last database?
Because it works fine here. Just checked.
Also if you're installed Mars Notebook with "Database file associations" so you'll be able to open any .mnb file with just a double-click in explorer.
MikeB55

Unread post Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:10 pm

No matter what I do it always loads the last file that was edited. The funny thing is that if I double click on a .mnb file then it does open that file.

MikeB
Marsianin
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:18 pm

This really sounds strange because double click on .mnb file executes Notebook.exe thatfile.mnb, nothing else.
May be when you run Notebook.exe yourbase.mnb it unable to find it? Try to use full path, for example

Code: Select all

Notebook.exe "C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\Documents\mybase.mnb"
MikeB55

Unread post Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:40 pm

I did some playing around (even before reading your post). It does appear to be some sort of pathing problem. Perhaps something to do with the starting directory or the way your program interprets it. The following (as I mentioned) does not work:

notebook.exe Data\myfile.mnb

But!!! The following two command lines do work just fine:

"C:\Program Files\Mars Notebook\notebook.exe" Data\myfile.mnb
notebook.exe "C:\Program Files\Mars Notebook\Data\myfile.mnb"

Note that I am performing these via a DOS console that I have opened and that I am executing the commands from the main program directory.

It is all very strange.

MikeB
Marsianin
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:35 pm

Nothing strange here. It works fine.
If you're inside the Mars Notebook directory (i.e. C:\Program Files\Mars Notebook\) and your .mnb file somewhere in your documents so you have to pass full path for your file.

But I just tried to repeat your situation and it works fine too.

Placed a database file into Bases folder inside the Mars Notebook installation folder:

Code: Select all

Bases\mybase.mnb
Dictionaries
Languages
Notebook.exe
Notebook.ini
Notebook.usr
and run Notebook.exe Bases\mybase.mnb - works fine.
MikeB55

Unread post Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:52 pm

Well it fails consistantly at my end. I am not sure why. If you want to pursue it more I am willing to run a special debug build if you make one. One thing I do here to help my debug is to send output to stdout from inside a Windows application. It does not appear to do anything unless you redirect output to a file in which case it captures stuff just fine (ie. notebook.exe Data/myfile.mnb >>capture.log).

If you don't want to pursue it that is fine as well. I can live with it the way it is.

I though I might also point out that if I run "notebook.exe /?" I get a dialog with a mix of text and garbage characters. Not sure if there is a character set conflict or what.

I am running WindowsXP Home Edition with Service Pack 3 on an older (single core) CPU.

If you are curious about my suggestions for templates, I have placed a file you can download at:

http://www2.webng.com/MikeB/Files/MarsN ... plates.zip

It includes three samples. In the event you decide to allow .mnb type templates or add a "insert/load" type of command that would be similar to your "Save As" function then check the three .mnb files. In the event you implement just a list of files in a known directory then check the three .rvf files.

Anyways, thanks for your time and do let me know if you would like me to take a crack at generating a MarsNotebook.chm file for you.

Thanks,

MikeB
Marsianin
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:10 am

There is no need to make a special debug build.
Nobody has such problem like you also you said you can open .mnb files from any location by double clicking on it - this means it works fine :cool:
I though I might also point out that if I run "notebook.exe /?" I get a dialog with a mix of text and garbage characters. Not sure if there is a character set conflict or what.
Can you provide me a screenshot?

Thank you for templates, I'm gonna check them later.

What about help file. If you can write it - I will be very grateful because I have no time to do it. And, of course, your name will be there.
MikeB55

Unread post Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:04 pm

I see you got the board back up. I treid a bunch of emails to notify you and then finally used the ones provided in the WhoIs info for your domain.

Ok, I have placed the image at http://www2.webng.com/MikeB/Files/MarsNotebook.gif

My guess is perhaps it is foreign text? No Idea, I just see a lot of garbage.

MikeB
MikeB55

Unread post Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:04 pm

Is this working?
Marsianin
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:10 pm

Yes, this is a russian text. You don't have a font to display it correctly.
The same as in english one.

P.S. Moved to another hosting.
Dman

Unread post Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:55 am

Really glad to hear the contact/templates/custom form type things may be coming.. I wanted to create one for Website Info like..

Username
Password
Password Hint
Password Answer
Notes

Etc..

A few programs out there do it, like WinOrganize and ActionOutline.. TreePad too.