Suggestions

Please report bugs, suggestions and ask questions about Mars Notebook here.

Unread post Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:36 pm

Hello,

I'd like to make a few suggestions.

First, when creating new sections, I'd like to see the new section gain focus and open the Section Properties to allow for renaming and changing of icons.

Second, I'd like to see the ability to drag sections into other sections to become a child/sub section.

Third, I'd like ability to right-click on section and be able to sort child/sub sections by Name at a minimum but possibly other attributes as well. Maybe date or time added. Also, maybe have a Preference that can be set to autosort on the various parameters (Date/Alpha Numeric Ascending/descending).

I just installed your product for the first time but your application seems fairly robust and simple to use and I'm sure I will offer more suggestions as I use it a bit longer.

Thanks for reading,

Tyke Beard
Marsianin
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:15 pm

1. May be will be implemented optionally. Because it's not useful when you want to add a lot of sections at one time.

2. In plans.

3. Maybe...sometime...
Is there any life on Mars ?
alross

Unread post Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:37 am

It might be nice if new sections inherited their defaults (text colour, background colour and so on) from their parent section.
Marsianin
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:43 pm

What you mean ?
All sections have same colour, font and background. Only icon and name can be different.
So what you want to inherit ?
alross

Unread post Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:40 pm

I did not realise that all sections have the same colours. When I change background colours they only apply to new sections I create. So I thought that each section had its own settings for colours.
Marsianin
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:13 am

alross wrote:When I change background colours they only apply to new sections I create.
That's right.
When you changing section (text, not in tree) it will apply to this section only.
If you want to create new section with non default background - look at
preferences -> Interface -> Default Editor background color
This bg. color will apply to any new section created.
Timmy

Unread post Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:19 pm

Hi Marsianin,

I bought your product a few weeks ago and just finished migrating most of my data to it the other day.

Using your product I am fairly happy with it but I found a few potential improvements that could be made:

1. "Save" button:
This is an issue because if I made a mistake it would automatically be saved :0/

Personally I would much prefer that I could hit Ctrl + S whenever I wanted to save my work to the database rather
than the program commited changes made automatically.

Most other Windows programs do not automatically save changes to work. They do prompt the user to save their
work before they exit the program, and some also allow configuring of auto-save features on and off. That means
that you can open an image file, document whatever, start working on it and think - agggh that is rubbish and then
you just exit your program and when prompted to save changes you say "no".

I know that the Mars Notebook program does have an undo feature but this does not undo many things
(e.g. if I accidentally delete a node that I did not want to delete then there is NO way back)

2. Default table and cell border properties:
Tables are always created with black table and cell borders and containing black text. I don't use white as my
default document background and I don't use black as my default font colour either. Therefore it would be nice
that everytime I created a table I did not then have to reformat it's border, cell border and fonts step by step.

I can choose the default font, page background etc. for my program - great! But why can't I specify the default
format of my tables?

3. Word Wrap:
Every new section created has "word wrap" active. Also, there is a given line length at which to wrap the text.
(I don't know how to adjust this value or if that is even possible).

It is great that with this program you have the option to activate word wrap on a per line basis.

However it would be equally great to be able to set WORD WRAP to OFF as the default value and not ON.

4. Paste Image as PNG not BITMAP:
When I copy an image from my Web Browser etc. and I want to paste it into my Mars Notebook file the only
option I have is "paste as Bitmap".

I see for release 2.0 you say that the program does paste the image as a .PNG file.

So has the menu item not been updated (Paste As... > Bitmap Picture) or am I doing something wrong?

I have another few suggestions for minor improvements/bug fixes, but I'll include them in a seperate post.

I hope this feedback is useful.
Marsianin
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:48 pm

1. It's a feature. Data saved automatically with no bothering "DO YOU WANT TO SAVE?" This will not be changed. But Ctrl+S is working. It saves your database too ;-) Recycle bin for deleted nodes is in todo list...

2. Yeah, there are a lot of things to implement in tables. I don't have much time for this but I'll try.

3. Actually it's a bug and will be fixed.

4. Images from clipboard always will paste as PNG even if you use Paste As... -> Bitmap. You can disable it manually in Notebook.ini (or registry) file by setting PasteBMPasPNG to 0. Clipboard always contains BMP format (not JPG/PNG/GIF/TIF)
Timmy

Unread post Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:01 am

1. Ok, I guess if the recycle bin for entire nodes is implemented then that would be a big help

2. "There's a lot of things to implement in tables..."? Please don't change your program too much! Being able to set default table border colour etc. would be more than enough. I want your program to stay small, fast and simple - and not become some overcomplex bloatware.

3. Cool

4. Ok, thanks for explaining that