question/suggestion

Please report bugs, suggestions and ask questions about Mars Notebook here.
rafalp

Unread post Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:40 pm

Hi,

I was looking for a simple notebook to keep my hundreds of txt notes in one file -- and found Mars Notebook as perhaps the closest to my needs. Although TreePad and KeyNotes are fine, they do not support Unicode which makes them unusable to me. Mars Notebook looks really great -- even though I do not need all the formatting functionality, I know it may be important others.

There are, however, a few things I would like to see (or know they are planned) before I start using it.

1) In a message on the forum that was posted at the beginning of the year you promised Search/Replace in the whole database -- and in another message from early december you said v. 1.4 would be released soon. So will Search through the whole database be available in it? I think it might be nice to have an option for Search/Replace in the subtree from current node. A list of results (as in TreePad) would also be nicer than FindNext, so that one can see all matches at a glance and pick the ones sought.

2) Export options allows only to save the current note. It is of crucial importance, for data security reasons, to be able to Export the whole database to a single file. If it is not possible to implement it for all the supported formats, perhaps just a simple Unicode TXT file would still be enough. I am quite sensitive on this point, having used computers for quite a number of years -- I had to go through various platform and software migrations. Perhaps it would be best to be able to Export to a simple XML-like file with minimum markup -- just the nested notes and some important formatting.

Those two points are quite important to me, so I do hope they are possible to implement. Some other thoughts that I would love to see but which are not crucial follow:

3) User-definable Hot-key to bring up the notebook (I'd prefer two keys instead of three -- e.g. Alt+S)

4) A possibility to open several notes in tabs at teh same time. This may be more difficult to implement, as it would have to track possible changes (such as deleting a tree node with an article open in another tab) -- but would improve the flexibility of the program incedibly.

5) Links/pointers to files on disk have already been suggested -- and accepted for version 1.5. Perhaps implementing this feature might be connected with internal links to other articles within the database? Not very important, perhaps, but might be useful.

Anyway, if suggestions 1 and 2 are possible, I will definitely start using Mars Notebook -- and will happily translate the interface into Polish (if this is still needed).

Best regards,

Rafal Prinke
Poznan, Poland
Marsianin
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:02 pm

Thank you for choosing our product.

1. Did you tried to use version 1.31 ? Whole database search already implemented there.

2. Planned for 1.5

3. Already implemented in 1.4 (will be available before 2007)

4. Not yet.

5. Hope to do it in 1.5
Is there any life on Mars ?
Jenai

Unread post Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:04 pm

One thing I would love to see added, and it would make it complete for me, is the ability to add my own icons. Is that possible?

Thanks,
Jenai
Marsianin
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:25 pm

I think yes it one of the future versions.
jerebear

Unread post Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:58 pm

I would LOVE it if you could print the entire notebook with the tree structure acting as a table of contents.
Marsianin
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Not sure about it but everything is possible... :cool: