Mars Software Forum

forum.mars-soft.net

Find and Replace

Please report bugs, suggestions and ask questions about Mars Notebook here.

Find and Replace

Unread postby noahnatoll » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:39 pm

Am enjoying the application. It meets a need I was not able to satisfy anywhere else. I have a few suggestions:

1.) It would be useful to be able to find and replace text in all the sections of a notebook.

2.) When the Find dialog or Replace dialog open, it would save a step or two if the dialog automatically gained focus. This would allow me to select text I want to replace, copy to clipboard, open the dialog and paste the text into the Find What line without having to click on the dialog.

3.) Even better, if selected text were automatically inserted in the Find What line when the Find or Replace dialogs are opened, it would be be quicker.

4.) It would be useful to have the ability to name the notebook according to use. for example, a family notebook and a business notebook.

Thank you for this useful tool. Keep up the good work!
noahnatoll
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:25 pm

Re: Find and Replace

Unread postby Marsianin » Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:18 am

noahnatoll wrote:1.) It would be useful to be able to find and replace text in all the sections of a notebook.
This is the first 'todo' thing for the next version.

noahnatoll wrote:2.) When the Find dialog or Replace dialog open, it would save a step or two if the dialog automatically gained focus. This would allow me to select text I want to replace, copy to clipboard, open the dialog and paste the text into the Find What line without having to click on the dialog.

3.) Even better, if selected text were automatically inserted in the Find What line when the Find or Replace dialogs are opened, it would be be quicker.
Sounds good :)

noahnatoll wrote:4.) It would be useful to have the ability to name the notebook according to use. for example, a family notebook and a business notebook.
Will think about it...

Thank you for this useful tool. Keep up the good work!
Is there any life on Mars ?
User avatar
Marsianin
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 1563
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:02 am
Location: Planet Mars

Re: Find and Replace

Unread postby alross » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:57 pm

noahnatoll wrote:4.) It would be useful to have the ability to name the notebook according to use. for example, a family notebook and a business notebook.


I would support this suggestion very strongly. The tool is very useful but is limited by the idea that there is only one notebook on my computer. Right now there is only one, but only because it is too much trouble to have more than one. And I'd really like to run several notebooks on different topics.

It also makes the interface somewhat unconventional. Not that there is anything inherently wrong with being unconventional if there is a good reason for it. But I don't see the need to be unconventional with regard to menu items like File > Open, File > Save, File > SaveAs and so on. In the same way a Help and Help>About might be more conventional. I'd suggest adopting a file type for the notebook (maybe .mnb for Mars NoteBook?).

As currently implemented the tool does not feature multi-document support and I am not asking for that. I'd just like to be able to close one notebook and then open a different one in a single document interface. Maybe others might like an MDI mind you!

To me this has a lot going for it and implementing simple file open / close / save functionality would extend its marketability a lot. I'd like to be able to recommend it to the UK's Open University as a possible student tool - it really is ideal for study notes - but feel that the lack of file open / file naming, and more traditional help commands currently limits its general acceptability to a less IT literate userbase.

All the best

Al
alross
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:14 am
Location: Scotland

Unread postby Marsianin » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:52 pm

I'm working on it already. Save/Open will be implemented in next version.
Hope to finish it in one month due to a lot of changes.
Is there any life on Mars ?
User avatar
Marsianin
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 1563
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:02 am
Location: Planet Mars


Return to Mars Notebook

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron